So, something you might not know about me... I am obsessed with listening to podcasts. I know, it seems really random but I started listening to them Freshman year of college and I have been hooked ever since. Personally, I felt like I was listening to the same 50 songs and I was over it. I have different playlists for different moods, but I overplayed them all and I needed something different. So, I got into podcasts. To be honest, before I was super into podcasts I didn't really know what they were. I heard of them and knew people who listened to them, but I didn’t even know where to start.
I hopped on google and searched something like “best podcasts 2017.” I read through a few articles and made a short list of podcasts that I thought sounded interesting. I decided to start listening to what seemed like the most popular podcast at the time, Serial. Season 1 of Serial investigates a case involving a high school student, Hae Min Lee, who went missing and eventually was found dead at a park. Her boyfriend at the time was arrested and tried for her murderer, although he claims that he’s innocent.
This podcast is incredible and it made me fall in love with listening to podcasts. I listened to it in less than a week; I couldn’t get enough. I even remember telling one of my friends about it while we were walking around downtown and an older couple over heard me talking about how amazing this podcast was and they chimed in to say how much they loved it too. I was like omg! I’m not the only one!
I’ll leave a list of podcasts below that I highly recommend listening to. All of the podcasts I am going to mention are true crimes and cold cases except for one. Also, if anyone has any podcast recommendations please let me know in the comments down below!
1. Serial: First podcast I ever listened to. Reason why I love podcasts, highly addicting. A MUST.
2. Up & Vanished: UNREAL. Oh my god. I found this podcast on my own, and it was insane! The podcast was going on in real time as I was listening to it so I had to wait for a new episode to come out every single week. I felt like I was a part of this story, you HAVE to listen to it. I low-key think I love it more than Serial.
3. S-Town: I found this podcast by googling "what to do after listening to Serial" and this is the first thing that popped up. This story is compelling, unpredictable, and super interesting. I just finished listening to it last week. Absolutely loved it.
4. Criminology: Currently listening to this podcast right now and I'm on the 3rd episode and I'm already in love. This podcast covers the story of the Zodiac serial killer which is still unsolved today. The Zodiac is one of the most famous serial killers because his identity still remains unknown today. TOO GOOD.
5. Criminal: I didn't really get into it as hard-core as I did with Serial and Up & Vanished but I still really liked it and recommend listening to it.
6. The Heart of It: This podcast is hosted by one of my favorite YouTuber's of all time, Esteé Lalonde. I have been watching her videos since I was 13 years old and she is one of the most beautiful, intelligent, and interesting people I have ever come across. Her podcast isn't about crime, it is about life, experiences, and advice. Honestly it is of my favorite "feel good" podcasts I have found. Please just listen to one episode, you won't regret it.